3 Bugeys and a Wagon

3 Bugeys and a Wagon
11/13/2010 - 5k Stomp Out Hunger: Immaculata Collge

Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Savage Race

The Savage Race
Skirmish, PA






When you here obstacles named "Nut Smasher, Tazed, and Thor's Grundle," you know you are in for a treat.

Savage Race Pennsylvania 2013


So John, Jared, and I make our way up towards the Poconos.  This was at the same venue I did the Warrior Dash a few years ago.  We met our friend Mark Redwine there and took a few pre-race photos.







When we looked at the obstacles, we noticed that there was a lot of mud and water that we had to go through.  What we weren't counting on was the 50% weather.  It was quite chilly for a September morning, and not exactly weather you want to get wet in.  Nevertheless, we got ready for our 9:20 heat.

I, of course, thinking outside the box decided to run without a shirt on.  It was so cold that I didn't want to have a wet shirt stuck to me for the entire run, considering we were going to be completely submerged in water within the first 100 yards.  We lined up in our coral and got right up front.  The first obstacle was 100 yards away, and I wanted to be the first one to conquer it.  I ran screaming with Gwiz right next to me.  I am in no condition to sprint, but thats what I did anyway.  I imagine it was a frightening sight.  I didn't care though as I approached "Shriveled Richard"  (take a second and think about that name).

So here is what "Shriveled Richard" looks like.  Keep in mind, this was not an 80 degree day.  This was a 50 degree day with some slight wind and 9:20am in the morning (and I am shirtless).




Needless to say, it was a brutal way to start the race.  Thats ok though, the toughest part is now behind us.  (yeah, right!)


And here we have Davy Jones Locker.  I nice 10 foot jump into a water pit on a nice cold day in September.  Hey, at least it washed the mud off.






Can't wait to do this again next year.  We just need warmer weather.













No comments:

Post a Comment