3 Bugeys and a Wagon

3 Bugeys and a Wagon
11/13/2010 - 5k Stomp Out Hunger: Immaculata Collge

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Valley Forge Revolutionary Run/Walk






A very windy day in Valley Forge National Park, I decided to do something different for this one.  I signed up for the 3 mile WALK (not the 5 mile run).  Since I started running a year and a 1/2 ago, I have not walked any races on my own.  Thought I would give it a try.


Here are the post race refreshments waiting for us.  Bananas, Bagels, Pizza.  Good stuff!


And of course Jim Herr made his donation.  I was a little disappointed because these were all the "healthy" products.  Didn't see the blue or red bag for me.  Oh well.


The Best Western Car.  Not sure why I took this picture, but I did.


and of course, the Harleys


Went inside to check out the Visitor's Center. 


Just some of my favorite GW quotes:

1.) Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.
2.) Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder.
3.) My observation is that whenever one person is found adequate to the discharge of a duty... it is worse executed by two persons, and scarcely done at all if three or more are employed therein.
4.) To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.
and my favorite:

5.) It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.


Back for the start of the race.  The National Anthem



I have no idea how many people ran the race, but there had to be over a thousand runners.  The walkers started 5 minutes later (200 walkers).  It was windy, but aside from that it was a gorgeous day.

The walk was a 3 mile out-and-back walk.  The first thing we pass is a bunch of log cabins



About 3/4 mile mark in the race, is the big arch.  The inscription at the top reads as follows:

Naked and starving as they are
We cannot enough admire
The incomparable Patience and Fidelity
of the Soldiery (George Washington)

(Someday, I am going to actually figure out what that meant...but it does sound inspiring)




More log cabins at the turnaround





The walk back was cool, because the path actually walks through the arch.




It was pretty cool to see the flag on the other side.

This picture of the flag was taken in the arch




The cannon is pretty cool, but the 20 port-a-potties in the background make this picture a classic



It was fun to just take a walk (and not run).  Next year, I will be sure to do the run, cause the 5 mile route seemed like it was awesome. 



Race bib



Goodie bag that I filled with bananas, water bottles, and popcorn


The dull yellow tee shirt



No comments:

Post a Comment